Cork Decorative and Fine Arts Society
Cork DFAS is an organisation that focuses on the advancement and study of the decorative and the fine arts and the conservation of the artistic and cultural heritage. It provides a cultural and aesthetic focus for anyone with an interest in cultural heritage.
Regular talks cover the fine and decorative arts with a leaning towards conservation practices, material culture, design, craft, history, archeology and architecture. Topics may also include the lives and influences of artists, makers, craftspeople, curators and patrons. CorkDFAS engages speakers who are recognised experts in the field and also known to be engaging speakers.
- There are now seven talks (plus one free public talk) each year:
- three in autumn/winter (October – December)
- four in spring/summer (February – May).
- Talks are held in the morning at 11:30 on the second Saturday of the relevant month
- With the exception of Public and Commemorative Talks all talks are given at Nano Nagle Plae, Douglas Street, T12 X70A, Cork: see, Menu: Partner Nano Nagle Place. Each talk at Nano Nagle Place begins at 11:30 a.m.
- The free public talk is held in September at the Cork City Central Library, Grand Parade, Cork.
Visits by members to museums, private and public collections, and significant buildings, are organised by the Events Secretary(ies).
CorkDFAS also avails of opportunities for its members to volunteer to become involved in particular activities that would assist certain bodies that are engaged in the field of conservation or hold collections that require ‘conservation’ in the broadest sense. These activities involve minor but necessary tasks under professional supervision.
Follow CorkDFAS on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram:
The Society is supported by the following bodies as Associate members:
– MTU Crawford College of Art and Design
– Cork City and County Archives
– Cork Public Museum
– Cork City Libraries
– Lewis Glucksman Gallery
Our Corporate Member and sponsor is Morgan O’Driscoll, Irish and International Fine Art Auction House, 1, Ilen Street, Skibbereen, Co Cork, Ireland
The Society partners with and is supported by Nano Nagle Place, Douglas Street, T12 X70A, Cork
Nano Nagle Cork